There once were long-haired spirits living at the bottom of Sun Moon Lake. They was in the form of a human with the tail of a fish. The spirits and the Thao had shared the fish from the lake for a long time.
One day, a group of Thao fishermen were checking their fishing nets, and one of them suddenly shouted in anger, “Who tore my fishing net?” Then another complained, “Is that why there haven't been many fish in our nets lately?” Nobody knew who had torn the fishermen's nets. All they knew was that the number of fish in their nets was decreasing. The whole tribe began to worry about their future.
9. long-haired adj.「長髮的」。為一複合形容詞，結構為adj.+N-ed，參考句型手冊p.124。
10. …living at the bottom of Sun Moon Lake. 其中living是由_______________________簡略而來。
11. in the form of「具有…的外表；以…的形式」，參考句型手冊p.125。
12. …with the tail of a fish. 為一___________________片語
13. had shared the fish from the lake for a long time. 注意had p.p. … for + 一段時間。
14. …shouted in anger = shouted angrily.
15. Is that ( ) why… ，空格省略了什麼字?______________________________
16. lately=recently 「近來」，常搭配現在完成式或現在完成進行式動詞。參考句型手冊p.125。
à We haven't seen each other lately.
à I haven't been reading a novel lately.
17. …who had torn the fishermen's nets. 為一___________________子句
18. All they knew was that… 其中all在此為代名詞，當本句的主詞，其動詞為was，其後的that引導出一個______________子句，當作主詞補語，修飾all.
19. the number of 「…的數量」，當主詞時配上□單數□複數動詞。
比較 a number of 「許多的…」，動詞要與of後面的複數名詞一致，用複數動詞。
Numa, a strong Thao hero, volunteered to go into the lake and find out what had really happened. Soon after he had jumped into the lake, he quickly headed for its deepest part, where he came upon the answer. There was a long-haired spirit going around and destroying the fishing nets.
“We’ve never done you any harm. Why are you doing this to us?” asked Nama angrily. Before the spirit replied, Numa swam quickly toward it to stop it from tearing more nets. The two struggled underwater, and the battle was so fierce that giant waves rose from the lake and reached the top of the mountains nearby.
20. a strong Thao hero 當Numa的_________________。
21. volunteer to V 「志願做某事」
22. …what had really happened. 為一_____________子句。其中的動詞時態為_______________式。
23. Soon after…引導出一個______________子句。
24. headed for 本課片語，意為「________________________」。
25. …, where he came upon the answer.
where在此為關係副詞，引導一個□限定□非限定的______________子句修飾先行詞its deepest part。came upon本課片語，意為「_____________」。
26. There was a long-haired spirit going around and destroying…參考本課句型一，及句型手冊p.123。
27. go around and do …「到處做…」
28. do sb./sth. harm = do harm to sb./sth. 「傷害…」
29. stop…from… 意為「_____________」。from是介系詞，之後的動詞要用Ving。相關句型參考句型手冊p.127。
30. …struggled underwater 「在水底扭打」，underwater 在這裡是□形容詞□副詞。
31. …the battle was so fierce that giant waves rose from the lake…可改寫為…it was such a fierce battle that giant waves came/went up from the lake.
Finally, after three days and three nights of fighting, the spirit spoke. “Listen to me, you foolish fisherman! I would rather lose my life today than let your people bring destruction upon all of us!” said the spirit. “You humans have been blinded by your greed! With the huge number of nets you've been using, you are emptying the lake of its fish!” The spirit panted and continued, “Don’t you know that once all the fish are gone, we will all die of hunger?”
32. I would rather lose my life today than…
would rather + V1… + than + V2…= would + V1… + rather than + V2… 「寧可…也不…」
33. be blinded by 「被…所矇蔽」。
34. With the huge number of nets you've been using, …
35. …emptying the lake of its fish! 「把湖裡的魚捕捉殆盡」。empty A of B意為「_____________」。
36. …once all the fish are gone, 「一旦所有的魚沒了」，這是一個______________子句。
37. die of hunger 「死於飢餓」
Hearing the spirit's warning, Numa was shocked and embarrassed by what the Thao had been doing to the lake, which had supported them for generations. He made peace with all of the long-haired spirits before returning to his tribe. After the elders were told what had happened under the lake, they and Numa made a decision of great wisdom: the tribe would rather have just enough fish to eat than let their greed lead them to destruction.
38. Hearing the spirit's warning,… 這是一個分詞構句，由副詞子句___________________________簡化而來，不懂的同學參考Unit 9句型。
39. …what the Thao had been doing to the lake,… 這是一個______________子句。had been doing時態為__________________________式。
40. …, which had supported them for generations 這是一個表□限定□非限定的______________子句。
41. made peace with 意為「__________________」。
42. …before returning to his tribe. 可還原為副詞子句…before ___________________ to his tribe.
43. …made a decision of great wisdom 「一個非常明智的決定」。
of 後接抽象名詞，可用來描述先行詞的性質，例：a woman of courage (一個有勇氣的女人), a matter of no importance (一件不重要的事) 等。
From that time on, the Thao began to make an effort to use wisely the natural resources that they have been blessed with. For example, nets with small meshes are no longer used for fishing so that baby fish can get away and humans won't drive the fish to extinction.
Today, we must all search for the Numa within ourselves, the voice that calls for harmony between Mother Nature and humans.
44. From that time on, 「從那時起」，常與過去式搭配。
45. make an effort to V 努力…，盡力…
46. use wisely the natural resources that they have been blessed with.
wisely 原本應該置於受詞之後，但是受詞太過冗長，所以放在use後面。否則原本的寫法應該是use the natural resources that they have been blessed with wisely.
…that they have been blessed with. 是一個______________子句。
47. …are no longer used for fishing. 「再也不用…來捕魚」。注意be used for N「被用在…」。
48. …drive the fish to extinction . 「讓魚類絕種」。 drive…to…意為「__________________」。
49. the Numa within ourselves 「我們心中的Numa」。
50. the voice that calls for… humans. 此處的that…humans 是一個____________子句，當the voice的____________。